Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Creamy Zucchini-Basil Soup and Catalan Couscous Salad

I love trying new recipes - so much so that Jim often asks if we'll ever get to have anything we liked again. Each week, for What's for Dinner Wednesday, I'll share our favorite dinner recipe with Sprout ratings and results. 

If you have more than one person in your family, you probably understand how difficult it is to find a meal that everyone agrees on. But even knowing that, I rarely end up with a meal that's as all over the place as this one.

First, let's talk about the Creamy Zucchini-Basil Soup. This is my all-time favorite soup; nothing else really comes close for me, really. Every time I have it, I feel like I'm dining in a nice restaurant. Rarely do I get impressed by my cooking, but this one makes me feel like a chef every time. You get the picture, right? I love this soup. Fortunately, the rest of the family does, too. The soup is a winner.

Now, sadly, on to the salad. I'd made the Catalan Couscous Salad from Appetite for Reduction once before on a day that, coincidentally, the kids were at my mom's. As I was putting it on the plates, I have to admit that I didn't have high hopes for it. It looked so-so, and the combination of ingredients seemed really strange. Fortunately, looks aren't everything and Jim and I both loved it. It's a very unusual salad, but very good.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I went for round two. Feeling a little cocky from my earlier victory, I decided to sub quinoa for the couscous because I had some left over. I liked it almost as much, Jim didn't love it and the Sprouts were not fans at all. So disappointing! I'm making it again with the couscous before I rule it out as a salad the whole family enjoys. 

Sprout Ratings

Creamy Zucchini-Basil Soup: 
Big Sprout - 5 sprouts
Little Sprout - 5 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 5 sprouts
Daddy Sprout - 4 sprouts

Catalan Couscous Salad:
Big Sprout - 2 sprouts
Little Sprout - 2 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 4 sprouts
Daddy Sprout - 3 sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment