Monday, January 10, 2011

About the Sprouts

I just finished interviewing my two little sprouts, who for the purposes of this blog, have named themselves Big Sprout and Little Sprout. Here's a little more info to help you get to know them:

Big Sprout, Age 7
Favorite fruit: Oranges, apples, watermelon
Favorite veggie: Lettuce, Asparagus, Broccoli
Favorite breakfast: Pancakes
Favorite lunch: Chickpea salad; Fakin', Lettuce & Tomato (with avocado)
Favorite dinner: Lentil loaf, butternut coconut rice (Appetite for Reduction)
Favorite salad dressing: Agave dijon (Skinny Bitch in the Kitch)
Favorite snack: Popcorn
Favorite unusual snack: Kidney beans with ketchup and mustard
Favorite treat: Cookies, chocolate-raspberry cake (Vegan with a Vengeance)
Favorite drink: Kombucha
Doesn't eat: Tomatoes, olives
Favorite restaurant: Ethos Vegan Kitchen
Favorite activity: Cycling, baseball, running, swimming, hockey

Little Sprout, Age 4
Favorite fruit: Mango, kiwi, watermelon, tangerines
Favorite veggie:Broccoli, carrots, celery
Favorite breakfast: Pancakes, oatmeal, chocolate-blueberry smoothies
Favorite lunch: Veggie pitas
Favorite dinner: Green Goddess Pasta, stuffed shells
Favorite salad dressing: Agave dijon (Skinny Bitch in the Kitch) 
Favorite snack: Popcorn
Favorite unusual snack: Olives, hummus 
Favorite treat: Chocolate chip cookies, homemade vegan ice cream
Favorite drink: Kombucha
Doesn't eat: Mushrooms, tomatoes
Favorite restaurant: Ethos Vegan Kitchen
Favorite activity: Bellydance, ballet, biking, running, swimming, horseback riding

My kids are great eaters, and that makes me very happy. But let me put it out there that they're not some kale-loving flukes of nature. If it were up to them, I'm 95% certain that they'd subsist on cupcakes and cheese . . . as would I, if we're being frank. But over the past decade or so, I've learned that both my health and the size of my ass suffer when I try to do this so I've moved on to a more balanced nutrition plan.

We talk a lot about why we should eat what our bodies need rather than what our taste buds always want, and I really think that, as much as they can for their age, they really get it. Understanding why we make choices that sometimes seem difficult really helps them enjoy healthy foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment