Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Butternut Rancheros

I love trying new recipes - so much so that Jim often asks if we'll ever get to have anything we liked again. Each week, for What's for Dinner Wednesday, I'll share our favorite dinner recipe with Sprout ratings and results.

Okay, there are two things I need to get out there before I start this post.

First, I promise I'll start working on my food photography skills soon. Please don't hold my so-so pictures against me. And trust me, the food looks much better that I'm able to capture (yet). 

And secondly, I'm not in the habit of making things that are too spicy for my kids to eat. I don't expect them to eat spicy food, but I realized that I've been missing it a bit myself. So tonight I did something totally out of character and made a dish I knew they wouldn't touch. And it was delicious.

My favorite cookbook author has a wonderful blog, on which she occasionally shares recipes. In reading it last week, I picked out quite a few that I wanted to try, and the first up was her Butternut Rancheros. Basically, you roast the squash, while making the ranchero sauce and adding in the beans. It's served with the spicy beans on the bottom and topped off with the squash.

It helped me a bit that the squash wasn't spicy, because at least I could serve that to the kids. Jim made them a salad, and we put their (plain) black beans on top of that. Turns out, it was a great compromise. The kids still got to eat all the elements of dinner, and we got to enjoy some heat. Jim and I both loved this dish, but I'm not including the kids in the Sprout ratings for this one through since they didn't actually eat this recipe.

Sprout Ratings
Mama Sprout - 4.5 sprouts
Daddy Sprout - 4 sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment