Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Orange-alicious Salad

So by now you probably know that the only sure thing about my meal plan is that I'm going to deviate from it. I was feeling really lazy for no good reason tonight and still a little full from lunch, so I decided to make tonight leftover and Apple Pie Salad night and save the Eggplant Parmesan for tomorrow . . . except that I didn't have any apple juice for the dressing and I was too lazy to pull out the juicer.

Being somewhat resourceful in the kitchen, I subbed in some orange juice, mixed up the salad toppings and created something new, which the Sprouts named Orange-alicious Salad. The dressing is really light, but it's (for me, at least) just enough to moisten up the greens and keep me from feeling like I'm missing something. If you want it totally fat free, you can make it without the cashews, but they really do help emulsify it.

Orange-alicious Salad Dressing

Ingredients
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1 apple, seeded, cored and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons raw, unsalted cashews
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation
If you have extra time on your hands, soak the cashews in warm water for 5-10 minutes, then drain. If not, just move ahead with putting all ingredients in a blender or food processor until well combined and creamy.

Posting a recipe for the salad just seems silly. It's greens topped with clementine slices, blueberries and toasted almonds. Voila.

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 4.5 sprouts
Little Sprout - 4 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 4 sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment