Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Anytime English Muffins

I'm calling these Anytime English Muffins because although I made them so we'd have something different for breakfasts, they're equally yummy at any time (for example, as they came out the oven this evening!) Little Sprout, however, keeps calling them French Cookies.

I used 1/5th of my bread dough recipe to make these, so even after all of us sampling one, we still have more than 20 left. I'm already picturing them topped with nut butter and bananas in the morning, piled high with hummus, lettuce and tomato for lunch or toasted with just a touch of Earth Balance alongside soup and salad.

Anytime English Muffins

Ingredients
1/5 batch of Basic Whole Wheat Bread dough (or more if you want more muffins). You can scale the recipe down or just make the whole thing and turn the rest into loaves and/or baguettes.

Preparation

1. Roll dough out to 1/4" thickness, lightly flouring the rolling pin or work surface if needed.













2. Using the top of a glass like a cookie cutter, "cut" the English muffins out of the dough.



























3. Remove the cut muffins, and place them on a baking sheet. Roll out the leftover dough, and repeat until all the dough has been used.

4. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray, and cook muffins over low heat for 8-10 minutes on each side (until golden brown).















Using 1/5 of the batch of bread dough yields approximately 25 English muffins. Muffins will keep up to a week in the refrigerator or can be frozen for longer storage. To serve, use your fingers to split the muffin in half. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Jess! I made them up right away but should have figured out mine was a smaller mixer than yours and not made the full batch but it still turned out good! Next time I might add some unbleached white wheat to it to make it a little less dense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, let me know how they turn out. My kiddos loved them. I think they'd be fun to make with cookie cutters in different shapes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad they turned out well, Crystal. Yes, definitely play around with the flour to see what you guys like best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. made these today - hubby is thrilled, they are GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad!!! I love hearing that things turned out well. :)

    ReplyDelete