Wednesday, January 12, 2011

One of the Many Reasons We Don't Eat Fast Food

Call me a food snob, but I just can't bring myself to pay for food that's not as good as something I could make myself. We love to eat out, but the number of restaurants we'll actually eat at has dwindled in the past few years. I'm finding that this has less to do with our food "restrictions" - I can find a vegan option almost anywhere - and more do to with the poor quality of food in most restaurants.

I remember eating plenty of fast food as a kid, but by the time Jim and I met, neither of us was really into it. We'd occasionally stop at Wendy's or Arby's while on the road, somehow thinking that was a better choice than Burger King or McDonald's. The last time I remember eating in a fast food restaurant was when I was pregnant with Big Sprout, and just seven years later, I can't even imagine eating something from there.

When Big Sprout was about two, I learned about a whole food supplement called Juice Plus and became a distributor - in part to earn some extra money but mostly because I believed (and still do) that it's a fantastic product. Over the next few years, I gathered the bulk of my knowledge on nutrition, and what I learned was pretty horrifying.

For a while, I taught wellness classes to share what I'd learned with other parents.We shared statistics about the dangerous rise in sugar consumption in children and talked about the effects of transfat in our bodies. But as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words so that's all I'm sharing with you today.

The chicken nuggets in the picture were purchased just before the birth of Little Sprout in June 2006, making them almost five years old. 

As Jim likes to say, "If no self-respecting mold would eat it, why would we???"

2 comments:

  1. yikes! I've seen Spurling's time-lapse photos of fast food seemingly untouched, but it's even freakier for such a LONG time, w/ someone I actually know... Can't believe how much of that stuff I used to put in my body.

    ReplyDelete