Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Good Morning Green Smoothies

Let me just put it out there up front . . . you'll be reading a lot about green smoothies on this blog. We love them and have them almost every morning. The kids always think they're getting a treat, and from my perspective, they're quick, easy and I can adapt my favorite recipes based on whatever produce we have on hand. Plus, I love knowing that the kids have had several servings of veggies before 9AM. And not just any veggies, but typically greens such as kale, spinach, collards or chard, which are the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet.  

We typically use kale in our smoothies (I'll be posting a great idea for storing kale later today), but any type of green is great. This is yummy with cherries, but I also love it with blueberries, strawberries or raspberries. If you use fresh fruit instead of frozen, be sure to add a little ice to cool it all off.

Cherry Cordial Smoothie

Ingredients:
1 cup almond (or other non-dairy) milk
1 large banana
1 cup frozen cherries
1-2 cups packed greens (kale, spinach, beet, collard, chard)
½ cup roughly chopped zucchini
1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground flax

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in blender, and process until creamy and smooth.

This makes enough for one adult as a full breakfast or for the three of us (one adult two kids) if I’m serving it with other things. When my husband is home, or if the smoothie is our entire breakfast, I’ll double it to make enough for all four of us.

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 5 sprouts
Little Sprout - 5 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 5 sprouts
Daddy Sprout - 5 sprouts

6 comments:

  1. Definitely have to try this... Bet it would also be good if substituted kefir for the mylk, then would get probiotic benefits.

    Here's one of my faves for a dessert (tho' have to have Vitamix or Blendtec). Actually, I use a lot less water, so you need a spoon to devour it! ;-)

    Easy Almond Date Milkshake
    (1 serving)

    2 T raw almond butter
    2 Medjool dates, pitted
    1 1/2 C cold water
    1 frozen banana

    Blend all ingredients in high-speed blender for 30-40 seconds until creamy.

    (from Diana Stobo's "Get Naked Fast!")

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    I used to do "ice cream" by blending a frozen banana with just enough almond milk to make the blades turn (probably more how you make yours). Haven't tried it since I got the Vitamix, so I'm guessing the frozen banana will blend much more easily now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning on trying these this week. If I can get my son to drink it I'll be beyond thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how it turns out, Laura! More green smoothie recipes are on the way this week, too. I'd try just a little kale to start and if he likes it, you can gradually add more. And if he needs it a little sweeter to start, you can toss in a few pitted dates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a post from a while ago, but I recently started drinking "smoothies" again to bump my calorie intake. Here is the rough recipe I am using:

    1/2 cup almond milk
    3-4 frozen pineapple chunks
    handful of spinach (about a cup)
    heaping teaspoon of peanutbutter

    It's very green and surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought to combine pineapple and peanut butter . . . but now I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!!!

    This also reminds me that I have to recreate the pina colada smoothie I made last fall. It was the best, and I forgot to write down the recipe.

    ReplyDelete