Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Big Fat Taco Salad

Let me say going into this that we're probably the only family on the planet who are not huge fans of Mexican food. There. I said it. However, I do toss together a Southwest salad from time to time, so when I saw this recipe, I decided to give it a try.

The recipe is from my favorite cookbook in the entire world. Can you see how emphatic I am about that??? Written by the amazing Isa Chandra Moskowitz (author of Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon, the first and second runners up in my fictitious favorite cookbook awards), Appetite for Reduction serves up Isa-worth recipes with a health-conscious twist. It's exactly what I've been looking for, so you'll certainly be hearing a lot about it as I cook my way through it.

Tonight, I was thrilled to turn tomatoes from my garden into salsa for the topping, and some cheap organic avocados I scored at a local market became the guacamole. The recipe called for cutting the fat of the avocado by using part edamame, but I accidentally bought the kind still in the shells and didn't have time to go through the hassle of thawing and shelling them.

The ratings on this one definitely reflect the fact that we're not a taco-loving family, but I'll definitely make it from time to time. If Southwest suits your taste buds, I'm sure you'd love it.

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 4 sprouts
Little Sprout - 3 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 4 sprouts
Daddy Sprout - 3 sprouts

My cute little tomatoes:

















And the salsa they became:

No comments:

Post a Comment