Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Recipe - Banana Nut Oats

One of the first things you'll learn about my meal plans is that they often change. I'm really bad about remembering what I have on hand and what I've run out of, and I inevitably forget one thing on my list at the store every week. So this morning, it wasn't really surprising to find that we'd run out of raisins. Normally, I just cook the oats and sprinkle raisins, walnuts and ground flax on each serving. Both Sprouts take a drizzle of agave on theirs, and Little Sprout and I take a sprinkling of cinnamon.

In revamping our breakfast, I decided to use bananas, dates and nuts in our oatmeal and it turned out so well, that I jotted down the recipe for Banana Nut Oats. Of course, if I'd known I was going to blog about it, I would tried for a prettier photo and saved some sliced bananas and a sprinkling of flax for the top.

Banana Nut Oats

Ingredients
1 cup oats
2 bananas
3 dates
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preparation
Cook oats as directed. While they are cooking, blend bananas with just enough water (or almond milk) to turn the blades. Once they are creamy, add the dates, cinnamon and flax and blend until combined. Stir the banana mixture and walnuts into the oats and serve. 

This recipe made just the right amount for me and the Sprouts, but I'd double it if Jim was here for breakfast. Next time, I'll top in with fresh banana slices - and because I think it would taste great (not just for looks).

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 4.5 sprouts
Little Sprout - 4.5 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 4 sprouts

We also had to sub a clementine for the pineapple, as it turns out the organic pineapple I picked up on sale at a local market was on sale for a (rotten) reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment