Thursday, January 13, 2011

Creamy Chickpea Salad

This wonderful chickpea salad from the Fat Free Vegan blog is a hit with the whole family, and the kids were excited to hear I was making it for lunch today. Aside from other staples like veggie pitas and PB&J, this is the dish most likely to show up in our lunch box.

The recipe is very forgiving and turns out well even when I mix it up a bit. I've actually never made it with the tofu, and I usually substitute dried herbs for fresh. One batch makes enough for the Sprouts and I for lunch, so if Jim is home (or if I want leftovers), I usually double it. Today's lunch was served on a bed of greens, but we also like it stuffed into pitas, rolled in a wrap or as "dip" with raw veggies and crackers. The Sprouts had also gone through 2-3 clementines each this morning, so I scrapped the tangerine and let them have some Veggie Booty instead.

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 5 sprouts (he actually said "5 trillion, zillion, million, infinity")
Little Sprout - 5 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 5 sprouts

While you're over at the Fat Free Vegan for this recipe, definitely stay and browse a while. Many of our favorites come from this wonderful site!

2 comments:

  1. do you like the "Nayonaise" or a different brand? My Hubby doesn't love for this brand

    ReplyDelete
  2. We typically use Veganaise, and I can't remember if I've actually tried the Nayonaise. I think Spectrum has a good vegan mayo, too.

    ReplyDelete