Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sweet on Sunday - Strawberry Ice Cream

As I've mentioned, my kids certainly aren't kale-loving creatures by nature. We foster good habits through a healthy plant-based diet, but they definitely love treats from time to time (or as often as I'll allow). Fortunately, I've found many healthier ways to indulge their sweet tooth - although you'll probably get plenty of traditional treats in here as well.

Okay, so this part of this week's dessert is not the healthiest . . . even vegan ice cream is still ice cream, after all. But, we try to strike a balance between sticking to a healthy everyday diet and still enjoying an occasional treat.

I haven't made ice cream in months and the kids have been asking for it, so I decided to make strawberry ice cream this week. It went perfectly with the dessert I had planned this week - Banana Splits - and we still have some left for the Sprouts to enjoy in the next few days.


Strawberry Ice Cream

Ingredients
1 can coconut milk
6 oz. firm silken tofu
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Preparation
Combine all ingredients in blender, then prepare according to your ice cream maker's directions.

If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can pour the blended ice cream mixture into a shallow dish and freeze for 1-2 hours until firm. That's actually what I ended up doing tonight since I didn't have the ice cream maker chilled and ready to use.

Both methods make a soft-serve style ice cream. If you want it firmer, just freeze until it reaches the desired consistency.

2 comments:

  1. And I thought I was good at justifying dessert. I like the way you think!!! :)

    ReplyDelete