Monday, January 10, 2011

Curried Potatoes with Cauliflower & Peas

So here's the first dinner review . . . Curried Potatoes with Cauliflower and Peas from the January/February 2011 Vegetarian Times. I expected the recipe would be up on their site so I could link to it, but it's not there yet. If it sounds yummy to you, checkfor it in the coming weeks.

This is the first meal that Big Sprout has seen in a magazine and asked me to cook. Ironically, it was already on this week's meal plan. I'm not much of a recipe reader, so I noticed once underway that it was actually a pressure cooker recipe. Oops! I don't have one of those. So, I just covered it and left it simmering on low heat, stirring and adding water as needed.

Because I'm lazy and rarely "cook" more than one dish per meal, I paired it with a simple green salad. Big Sprout loved it. He's the "better" of my two in terms of eating, but I still rarely see him clean his plate that quickly. As I type this, he's currently on his third helping. I'm wondering how much of it was the actual meal and how much and how much was the excitement of the new rating system.

Little Sprout and I thought it was okay - nothing special but I'd make it again, possibly with a few modifications. She did tell me however, that she loved the salad. My hubby had a meeting at the martial arts studio, so he's not home to give his review yet.

I'd probably make it again because Big Sprout liked it so much, but I might look around for other versions of the. I actually found a lot of potato/cauliflower/pea curries on the Vegetarian Times site and elsewhere, so apparently it's a popular combination. Some of them added chickpeas, which is funny because I remember thinking while I was cooking it that it really looked like it could use some chickpeas. Of course, I think everything needs some chickpeas!

Post note: Jim sided with Noah on this one! I've added his rating below.

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 5 sprouts
Little Sprout - 3 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 4 sprouts (but the quantity and enthusiasm with which my son ate it may have influenced my vote)
Daddy Sprout - 4.5 sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment