Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Vegan Caesar Dressing

I'm on a huge homemade salad dressing kick lately - probably because I haven't found any store-bought ones I like that aren't loaded with oil. To be completely honest, I haven't had a lot of luck making my own dressings in the past, but thanks to some great recipes in Appetite for Reduction and Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, I seem to be on a roll.

Today though, I'm sharing an old favorite. I wish I could remember where I found this Vegan Caesar Dressing recipe so I could give the credit, but it's been a staple at our dinner table for so long that I've lost the source.

Keep in mind that like most veganized recipes, it's not going to taste exactly like what you're used to as a Caesar dressing. But, I think it's a good, tasty dressing in its own right - and certainly much healthier!

Vegan Caesar Dressing 

Ingredients
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons lemon juice3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons raw nuts (I use cashews or almonds)
2 tablespoons Bragg's, soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon olive oil (optional - I usually leave it out)

Preparation
Combine in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 4.5 sprouts
Little Sprout - 5 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 4 sprouts

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Caesar Chavez dressing in AFR? So yummy with the shallots and capers and it lasts for about 2.5 days as far as freshness goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I don't like that one as much. So far, my favorites from AFR are the Balsamic and the Sanctuary dressings. And I like the Romesco on the Catalan Couscous Salad but haven't tried it on anything else (never any leftovers!)

    ReplyDelete