Thursday, January 27, 2011

Food for Thought Thursday - H = N/C

Weird title, right? But if you've read the book Eat to Live, you probably know what I'm talking about. As I mentioned, Dr. Fuhrman's book was the main influence in my decision to adopt a plant-based diet, and for some reason, this formula was what made it all click for me.


H = N / C stands for Health = Nutrients / Calories . . . or more simply, your health depends largely on the nutrient density of your diet.

I don't think I've seen Dr. Furhman use the word "vegan". Instead, he uses the term "nutritarian", which he describes as someone who strives to get the highest possible amount of micronutrients in each calorie they consume. Because as obsessed as our culture is with macronutrients (fat, protein and carbs), it's really the micronutrients that determine our level of health.

I always laugh when someone asks me where I get my protein because, aside from the fact that many vegetables have more protein per calorie than meat, I'm really wondering where people who don't make fruits and veggies the basis of their diet get the tens of thousands of micronutrients our bodies need for vibrant health.

Health = Nutrients / Calories . . . eating plant foods that are high in nutrients and low in calories will result in a much higher "score" than consuming animal foods that contain minimal nutrients and are bursting with calories. For some reason, that simple equation helped me make the transition from making sure I squeezed in my "daily requirement" of fruits and veggies to realizing that fruits and veggies should be the starting point. As Dr. Fuhrman likes to say . . . the salad is the main dish.

Interested in learning more about a nutritarian diet? Check out this great article on Dr. Fuhrman's website . . . and be sure to enter our January giveaway so you can score a free copy of Eat to Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment