Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Our Hummus Recipe

I'm not sure how I ended up with a child who doesn't like hummus, but Big Sprout isn't a fan . . . yet. Our rule is that he has to try it every time I serve it, and if he still doesn't like it, he doesn't have to have any more.

As much as I'd like them to eat everything, I try to respect the fact that there are bound to be a few things they really just don't like - kind of like how I feel about mushrooms and olives. Big Sprout gets a pass on hummus, olives and tomatoes, and Little Sprout can decline mushrooms and tomatoes.

Little Sprout, fortunately, is a huge hummus eater just like her mama. Today, I had mine on a veggie pita, while she wanted hers with raw veggies (for dipping), olives, fruit and nuts.

This hummus recipe originated on a day that I was out of tahini and gradually evolved from there. As we began limiting oils in our diet, I reduced the amount of oil and replaced some of it with water. I think the result is a great basic hummus that three of the four of us enjoy!

Our Hummus Recipe

Ingredients
3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 cans, rinsed and drained)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cumin

Preparation
Combine all ingredients in food processor or high-speed blender, and process until creamy.

Note: When I make this in the Vitamix, I really have to push the ingredients into the blades with the tamper.

This is one of those recipes that seems to taste even better once it's had a chance to sit for a while, but we almost always enjoy a bit right away.

Sprout Rating
Big Sprout - n/a
Little Sprout - 5 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 5 sprouts

2 comments:

  1. I'll keep mine for up to a week (if it lasts that long) but it very well could last longer. This site says 2-4 weeks for hummus: http://stilltasty.com/.

    ReplyDelete