Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fun Food Friday - Veggie Sushi

When I say that my kids are big sushi fans, that is a huge understatement. If they had to pick one food to eat exclusively for the rest of their lives, it would probably be sushi. Okay, it would probably be cookies, but you get my point . . . they love sushi!

But in all the years they've been asking for it, I've never attempted to make it . . . until tonight. Not too many things intimidate me, but I have to admit that the very idea of rolling sushi is one of them. It's definitely going to take some practice, but the results were met with great enthusiasm. I made six rolls, and they disappeared in under a minute - poor Jim hardly got any!


I'm not going to be posting a recipe since I still don't really know what I'm doing, but I will give you an overview. First, you cook the rice and pour in a little rice vinegar. Then, place a sheet of nori with the rough side up and put a few spoonfuls of rice on top. Pat the rice into a rectangle, leaving a 1" border of nori around the edges. I felt it was helpful to leave a larger border on the side I was rolling towards since the ingredients often got pushed along as I rolled. Use a little water to moisten the edge of the nori you will be rolling towards (I found it helpful to moisten all the edges a little).

On to the toppings! Pile them along one edge of the rice. I used a hummus/avocado combo for half and a carrot/cucumber/vegan cream cheese combo for the other. I'm not sure how I forgot our favorite sushi filler - asparagus - but I did. Next time.

Next comes the rolling. I'm sure there are secrets to getting a nice tight roll, and this is the part that made me feel like I needed a remedial class. I know there are special bamboo mats, and some of the articles online recommended plastic wrap, but I used what I had - aluminum foil - and ended up doing the rolling by hand anyway. Roll it up as tightly as possible, and push onto the moistened end to seal.

Cutting proved to be the biggest challenge. To those who told me to use a very sharp knife . . . THANK YOU!!! Best advice ever. And since Jim wasn't home, I quickly learned how to sharpen my knives on my own. I also found it helpful to let the rolls sit for a little while before cutting. They firmed up and were much easier to handle. So, using a very sharp knife, cut the sushi into slices - and enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. I've always wanted to try making my own sushi! So I've never sharpened a knife before either lol. Did you use one of those plastic-looking sharpening tools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't as bad as I expected that think it will get better each time (with practice). My knife sharpening tool is some type of metal rod. LOL! Don't know much about it, but it worked. :)

    ReplyDelete