Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Veggie Plate

This is one of our favorite meals, but somehow, it's also one that I usually forget to make. Generally, I get so caught up trying out recipes from new cookbooks or food blogs that I forget to keep it simple on occasion. But recently, both Jim and the Sprouts have been asking for a weekly veggie plate, so I'm putting it back into the rotation.

Tonight's veggie plate featured sweet potatoes, asparagus and a cucumber-tomato salad. I sliced the sweet potatoes, placed them on a baking sheet with the asparagus and sprinkled everything with a tiny bit of sea salt. The sweet potatoes also got dusted with cinnamon, and I ground some rosemary-garlic seasoning over the asparagus before roasting at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

While the veggies were in the oven, I chopped up one large cucumber and a big plum tomato and mixed up some Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing, tossing everything into a dish to chill in the fridge for a bit. When the oven timer went off, dinner was ready (and I even got most of this blog post written in the interim). How easy is that???

Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing

Ingredients
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey

Preparation
Whisk together with a fork!

5 comments:

  1. Gonna try this one soon. I've just started to experiment with making my own dressings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost thought the sweet potatoes were Polenta! We buy the premade polenta in the tubes sometimes and cut them in slices like that. Then the kids like to make them into a "cake" with tomato sauce in between the layers. Veggie plates are fun and so easy to put together during the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making my own salad dressings--so much fresher and more delicious than most store bought ones. I do buy a few still, like poppyseed, but viniagrettes are so easy. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the kids love the sweet potatoes this way - they get really sweet without any sweetener. Great idea about the polenta . . . that sounds yummy!

    Tara, lmk how the dressings go. The Caesar dressing I posted a few weeks ago doesn't have any added sweeteners (or oil) and is one of our favorites!

    Susan, I'm pretty new to making my own dressings. I tried it a few years back and had more disasters with dressings than any other cooking projects. LOL! Fortunately, I'm having much better luck this time.

    ReplyDelete