Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sweet on Sunday - GF Banana Nut Pancakes

I'd promised the Sprouts pancakes for breakfast today, but I wanted to try something a little different. Though none of us seem to have issues with gluten, I am looking for ways to utilize other types of grains these days. I've hear of buckwheat being used in pancakes quite a bit, and I've been enjoying the unique flavor that quinoa has brought to the baked goods I've tried it in, so I decided to try out a combo of those two grains.

The result was quite good. They're definitely not the prettiest pancakes I've seen, and they are more dense and moist than light and fluffy, but we all definitely enjoyed them. I decided on a banana-nut variety to balance the quinoa flavor, and I think it worked well. If I'd planned ahead, I would have saved some bananas and pecans to top the pancakes, but I used the last of what I had in the recipe. And speaking of running out of ingredients, I was also out of almond milk so I just blended up three cups of water and 1/4 cup of pecans in the Vitamix before proceeding.

If you're gluten-free or just looking for an occasional wheat alternative, I think you will enjoy them!

GF Banana-Nut Pancakes

Ingredients:

Dry Ingredients
3/4 cup buckwheat
3/4 cup quinoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Wet Ingredients
3 cups almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 bananas
8 pitted dates
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:

1. Combine buckwheat and quinoa in Vitamix or other high-speed blender until ground into flour. (Alternately, you can use 1 1/4 cups each of buckwheat and quinoa flour).

2. In a medium bowl (I like to use my big 8-cup measuring cup so I can pour the batter directly from it), combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon.

3. In the Vitamix, combine almond milk and vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes, then add the banana, dates, oil and vanilla. Blend on high speed until smooth with no date chunks remaining.

4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until well combined. Stir in the chopped pecans.

5. Cook like pancakes!

Sprout Ratings
Big Sprout - 5 sprouts
Little Sprout - 5 sprouts
Mama Sprout - 5 sprouts
Daddy Sprout - 5 sprouts

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I posted a quinoa pancake recipe just the other day. Wasn't sure I'd like the flavor in a pancake but yes actually I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I will definitely go check it out. I've been surprised at how well quinoa can work in baked goods. I blended it with rice flour for the cupcakes and thought about using it alone for the pancakes but decided to go with the buckwheat. I can see why they recommend blending flours for gluten-free baking.

    ReplyDelete