Friday, April 8, 2011

Fun Food Friday - Bread Bowls

If I'm remembering correctly, I first discovered bread bowls on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. This was way back before the days of Panera and other places who do it all the time now. At the time, it was a novelty - and delicious! After all, what goes together better than soup and bread?

Novelty is what I was going for when I decided to make up some bread bowls for our chili this week. I was already making dough for Little Sprout's pizza rolls, so I just made them all at once. To do just the bread bowls (2 big, 2 small), about 1/4 a recipe of Basic Whole Wheat Bread would be plenty. Just roll the dough into balls and bake!

When the bowls have cooled, use a paring knife to cut a circle around the top of each. Remove the top, then use the knife to slice around the edges (being careful not to cut through the crust). Use a spoon to scoop out the bread (I saved mine to make bread crumbs).

So easy, and Sprouts both big and small were delighted!

No comments:

Post a Comment