Thursday, July 7, 2011

Food for Thought Thursday - Emotional Wellness

Although I focus a lot of food and fitness here at Growing Healthy Sprouts, this year has been a wake-up call for me regarding the importance of emotional health. Earlier this year, after reading Crazy Sexy Diet, I incorporated an amazing self-care practice that includes meditation, yoga, exercise and adequate rest. Although I've fallen off the wagon a few times, I notice such a difference when I'm in my routine that I always get myself back to it as soon as possible.

My experience over the past six months has made me think a lot about how to teach these principles to the kids; I wish I'd learned this earlier in life, so I'm hoping I can start them off right. Little Sprout has a lot of emotions that I feel she needs some extra help in handling, and Big Sprout - as laid-back and mellow as he seems - tends to avoid his feelings until they erupt out of nowhere. I try to avoid gender stereotypes, but they definitely seem like the typical "women" vs. "men" approach to emotions to me.

In any case, we've been reading a lot of inspirational books lately, and as we prepare to begin our new homeschool year next week, I plan to expand on these great books and implement some daily self-care practices for us all. At least four days a week, we'll read one of the following books followed by 10 minutes or so of either meditation or yoga.

Here are some of my favorite inspirational books from our home library:

(my current favorite!) 



(a close second)















I'm really excited to be introducing the Sprouts to some tools that have been so helpful for me! I've downloaded several guided meditations geared towards children and will share more about those once we start using them!

No comments:

Post a Comment